Wednesday 13 July 2011

Easy day

For the first time in the last two weeks my day has gone more or less to plan. I managed a slight lie in till 8am then off to HFD (Holden Fold Dressage and Stud) for the day. Angela was back from Verizon in France where she was competing, finishing 8th in the Kur with Mooiman HFD a fantastic result.
I was happy she was back as I felt I needed a slight kick up the bum with one of the slightly older horses on my ride list ( The Big Guy), a very cheeky Medium level horse. He is 17.2 hh and mahoosive in every way and given the fact I am only 5'4, I was finding it hard to keep him together through some of the more advanced movements. And believe me this cheeky chappy knows he is big and how to use it against you, so the slightest chance and he gives it nur nur nur you cant make me do that! Well my bum was well and truly kicked, a gruelling 40 min session of new ways to do old exercises to ensure I am firmly in the drivers seat and he is listening to me. It was a much needed reminder for both me and the horse and I now have new goals and motivation for his work. ( I don't think The Big Guy is very happy about it though.......it means more work!)
I think it is very important that no matter what level you are at in your chosen equine discipline, that you are never afraid to ask for help. You can never stop learning there are a million ways to ask a horse to do something, its all about finding the right one for you and your horse. People send me horses for schooling and breaking for all discipline's and I am good at my job, but it doesn't mean I don't get stuck from time to time. I am lucky enough to have ridden for International Show jumpers and currently be riding for an established International Grand Prix Dressage rider. So I always have fantastic advice on hand and I am not afraid to ask for it, why struggle and mess it up, when a two second question can put it right for life.
So bum kicking finished and feeling back in my legs, I worked a few more without hiccups. Then even found the time to take my favourite man ( Spyder HFD) for a cheeky much of grass after he worked so well. If only all days went this smoothly!
Spyder had to try and eat my phone too!

No comments:

Post a Comment